Confessions of an Eggplant

eggplant (n) - 1. a tough-skinned vegetable with a soft inside; sweated with salt to remove bitterness and combined with sauce and cheese and other complementary ingredients, it is rendered into a tasty and hearty dish. 2. a metaphor for life.

9.28.2005

Introducing Maddie's Dress

Inspired by the rich tradition of Smoke Meat, I would like to introduce you to Maddie's Dress.

Maddie Perkins is trapped -- in the body of a teenage girl, in the home of a bigoted father, in the sanctuary of a legalistic church, on the streets of an insignificant southern town. When Gary Townley comes to town, Maddie sees him as her method of escape, but is a life with him what she's really looking for?

I've been working on this character for several years. I hope by committing myself to the blogosphere I will be motivated to follow her farther down the path of her life.

Check out the first two chapters of Maddie's Dress. I hope you enjoy it.

1 Piquant Remarks:

  • At 4:31 PM, Blogger Zoanna said…

    YOur writing is superb. I love the feeling of immediacy. In my mind's eye I am sitting in that church, catty corner and behind the forward girl who could easily have been me in high school. (Thank God for redemption.)

    I like the pace of your writing. A variety of short and long sentences, the vivid verbs, the precise adjectives. The dialogue reveals a local color I'm in love with.

    Could say more, but I won't. Looking forward to reading Ch.3.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home