Confessions of an Eggplant

eggplant (n) - 1. a tough-skinned vegetable with a soft inside; sweated with salt to remove bitterness and combined with sauce and cheese and other complementary ingredients, it is rendered into a tasty and hearty dish. 2. a metaphor for life.

4.30.2005

Lord, teach me...

Last night: a funeral home visit. A young couple whose baby died in his sleep.

To a young mother, and a young father, and grieving grandparents: I'll pray for you.

Today: a chance meeting in the bookstore. An old friend whose adult child has moved back home in the throes of an addiction. A crumbling marriage. Three young children.

To a distraught father, searching for answers, and relief: I'll pray for you.

I love words. Words are my life. Yet, as hard as I try, try as I might, my words are not adequate.

Father, forgive my feebleness.

Holy Spirit, interpret my groanings.

Lord, teach me to pray.

1 Piquant Remarks:

  • At 12:18 AM, Blogger ~Jan said…

    I am so glad that those are the words you chose to say. Four years ago our family suffered a horrible tragedy, and some of the most well-meaning Christian folk said so many wrong and unintentionally hurtful things. "I'll pray for you" is good. Silent embraces are good. Platitudes and attempts to interpret God's purposes are never good. I could write a book. I may, some day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home