Confessions of an Eggplant

eggplant (n) - 1. a tough-skinned vegetable with a soft inside; sweated with salt to remove bitterness and combined with sauce and cheese and other complementary ingredients, it is rendered into a tasty and hearty dish. 2. a metaphor for life.

3.19.2005

Winter Patience Rewarded

I waited all winter for a redbird to appear at my feeders.

Zelda has reported occasional sightings, only I wasn't at home to see it. Getting a phone call at the office stating "there is a redbird on your feeder" isn't quite what I had in mind.

This morning I filled the feeders and came back inside to load the dishwasher. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him. Daddy Redbird, munching on sunflower seeds, spitting the hulls on the ground. I grabbed my binoculars for a closer look. Sitting in a small hickory tree behind the feeder was Mama Redbird, waiting her turn. Then, in an explosion of blue, Mr. Bluebird hovered onto the adjacent suet feeder.

Bill Gates can have his billions and Berkshire-Hathaway can be sitting at $87,600 a share, but it doesn't get much better than a redbird on the left and bluebird on the right.

2 Piquant Remarks:

  • At 6:29 PM, Blogger i.d. said…

    Cheers, Chris, you write some lovely stuff. Your awareness and perceptions are refreshing!

    Simple things make me happiest too. I wonder what simple thing makes Bill Gates happy - surely he's not entirely the money-hungry monster he seems to be?

     
  • At 9:57 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    Given Bill's philanthropy, I would hope not, but you can never tell. More's the pity if he is.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home