Confessions of an Eggplant

eggplant (n) - 1. a tough-skinned vegetable with a soft inside; sweated with salt to remove bitterness and combined with sauce and cheese and other complementary ingredients, it is rendered into a tasty and hearty dish. 2. a metaphor for life.

3.29.2005

OK, where are all the deadbeats?!?

A new IRS study provides a preliminary Tax Gap Estimate for tax year 2001 of between 312 and 353 billion dollars (yes, that's billion with a "b"). The Tax Gap Estimate is the difference between what all taxpayers should have paid versus what they actually paid in a timely manner.

IRS enforcement and receipt of late payments drops the net TGE to between 257 and 298 billion dollars (still billion with a "b").

I'd like to know who all these deadbeats are. I realize it has been many years since I sat in a micro-economics class (or were taxes covered in macro-?), but I don't remember when income tax became optional. How do these people get paid that they can sit on the sidelines when it comes time to file? I'm stumped.

At the risk of exposing my ignorance of economics, this seems to me to be a perfect reason to argue for the national sales tax. Abolish the income tax, declare most necessities such as food, housing, and utilities off-limits so the tax won't be regressive, and tax the remainder at the point of sale. Then, hammer Mr. Cashonly Lawncareman when he buys the souped-up bass boat. Squeeze Mr. Bling Bling Crackdealer when he pimps his ride. Slap Mr. and Mrs. Gotrocks Taxshelter for their round-the-world cruises, etc.

The current income tax has obvious holes (at least 257 billion in 2001) and the flat tax (where you calculate x% of your gross income and send it in) still requires compliance to work. It seems to me that a national sales tax would eliminate the opt-out clause that the underground economy seems to have for our tax system.

Am I wrong here? Or should I go back to writing about my bird feeders?

0 Piquant Remarks:

Post a Comment

<< Home