Confessions of an Eggplant

eggplant (n) - 1. a tough-skinned vegetable with a soft inside; sweated with salt to remove bitterness and combined with sauce and cheese and other complementary ingredients, it is rendered into a tasty and hearty dish. 2. a metaphor for life.

12.13.2004

Remedy for rabbit ears

The Oxford American is publishing again.

I first subscribed in 1999, and since then The OA has suspended publication more than once due to financial difficulty. Originally published in Oxford, Mississippi, home of the University of Mississippi and Southern literature "god" William Faulkner, it was moved to Little Rock and now it is published from the University of Central Arkansas in Conway, Arkansas, which coincidentally (or maybe not) is situated in Faulkner County.

My only knowledge of Conway, Arkansas, before The OA moved there is as the first nom de étape of Harold Jenkins, who most of the world knows as Conway Twitty. Which is also coincidental, as the most anticipated issue of The OA is the Southern Music Issue and accompanying CD. I don't recall Conway Twitty being on any of the Southern Music CDs I have, but I bet he is this year. I wonder how many people would catch the connection?

I became a subscriber to The New Yorker earlier this year. I had read some great articles on their website and I decided I'd give them a try in my home. It has been a bittersweet experience since they are way left of me, but their in-depth coverage of Iraq and Sudan has been worth it. As a writer, I'm always looking for good, challenging writing, which I find in both magazines. That, and the fact that I don't have satellite or cable TV.

There, I said it. I don't have satellite or cable TV. I made the break back in the summer, when I moved into a new neighborhood. Giving up cable is easy to explain, kind of like replying to a friend's inquiry of "How did you give up Big Macs?" with "Oh, it was easy. I went to prison." Cable doesn't come into our neighborhood, so there wasn't much of a decision to be made there. I never got around to getting the satellite set up, and I've used the experience to get back into the habit of reading. Hence, the magazines, which I read cover to cover (for the most part).

I can't say I've missed TV, though I did go through C-SPAN withdrawals during the election. More entertaining than TV has to be watching the reactions of people when they find out that I watched the World Series with rabbit ears. Priceless.

Welcome back, OA.

0 Piquant Remarks:

Post a Comment

<< Home